Stephen McGarvey, PHD, MPHEdit My Page
Dr. McGarvey is concerned with issues of human population biology and international health, specifically modernization-related induced socio-economic and behavioral changes, gene by environment interactions on cardiovascular disease risk factors, tropical parasitology and child nutritional status and health, and environmental issues. His research involves developing-world countries such as Samoa, the Philippines, South Africa and Ghana.
Stephen McGarvey is the Director of the International Health Institute and Professor of Epidemiology. He is an elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and on the editorial board of the American Journal of Human Biology. McGarvey earned a Ph.D. in Anthropology from Pennsylvania State University in 1980, and an M.P.H. in Epidemiology from Yale University. McGarvey is concerned with issues of human population biology and international health, specifically modernization-related induced socio-economic and behavioral changes, genetic and environmental influences on obesity and cardiovascular disease risk factor, tropical parasitology and child nutritional status and health, and environmental issues. His research involves developing-world countries such as Samoa, the Philippines, and Ghana.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
Dr. McGarvey is working on two large projects. The first is a long-term series of NIH supported studies examining the genetic, physiologic, and behavioral influences on cardiovascular disease risk factors in Samoa and American Samoa, and newer research in applied interventions on non-communicable diseases. One recent project is a R18 translational research grant project on the impact of community health workers on the management of type 2 diabetes in American Samoa in collaboration with a primary care health facility. The newest project is a genome-wide association study of adiposity and metabolic phenotypes in Samoa. This will study will also attempt to detect specific interactions between genetic variants and individual level dietary and physical activity factors on adiposity and metabolic phenotypes. Based on prior studies in 2002-03 analysis and manuscript preparation continues on determining genetic susceptibilities and gene* environment interactions that determine obesity and Type 2 diabetes. The second project is on the parasitic infection Schistosoma japonicum in The Philippines. His current research focuses on two studies in The Philippines. The first is a multidisciplinary study of the ecology and transmission of schistosomiasis and how its distribution in space, time, and people is influenced by the anthropogenic changes to the environment due to rice farming. The second project focuses on the interactive influences of puberty, malnutrition, and specific immune responses on the development of partial resistance to infection.
2007, Elected Fellow, American Association of Advancement of Science
1980-81, Postdoctoral Fellowship in Biomedical Anthropology, National Institute of Mental Health, University of Hawaii
1971-77, Predoctoral Traineeship in Human Biological Adaptability, National Institute of General Medical Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University
1970-71, Presidential Scholarship, Villanova University
Chairperson (2011-2013) & Member, International and Cooperative Projects-1 Study Section, National Institutes of Health, Center for Scientific Review, 2010-14
Member, Advisory Committee for the Schistosomiasis Consortium for Operational Research and Evaluation (SCORE).
Member of Editorial Boards:
American Journal of Human Biology, and Anthropological Science
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Association of Physical Anthropologists
Human Biology Association
American Society for Clinical Nutrition
American Public Health Association
American Society of Tropical Medicine
Hygiene Fellow of North American Association for the Study of Obesity
2010-2013 Migration, HIV and Socioeconomic Change in South Africa. Co-Investigator with PI Michael White. Brown University Center for AIDS Research. Total Costs $40,000.
2009-2014 Genome-Wide Association Studies of Adiposity in Samoans. PI: ST McGarvey, NIH Grant R01-HL093093. Total Costs $5,229,699.
2006-2013 Diabetes Care in American Samoa. PI: ST McGarvey. NIH Grant R18-DK075371. Total Costs $ 2,432,866.
2008-2013 Global Health Framework at Brown University. Co-PI with S. Cu-Uvin. NIH Grant R25TW008102, Total Costs: $406,806.
2013-2018 Behavioral Intervention to Prevent Child Overweight and Obesity in American Samoa. PI: ST McGarvey. 1-R01-MD007675-01. Submitted 6/1/12, in response to RFA-MD-12-003, Social, Behavioral, Health Services, and Policy Research on Minority Health and Health Disparities. Total Costs $1,179,340.
2013-2018 Partnerships for the next generation of HIV social science in South Africa. PI: M Lurie. Total Costs $2,212,767. Response to RFA HD-13-012,'Global Partnerships for Social Science AIDS Research'.
2013-2018 Contraceptive use and HIV risk trajectories among women and men in South Africa. PI: A Harrison. Total Costs $2,218,220. Response to RFA HD-13-008, 'Prevention of HIV Transmission/Acquisition through a better understanding of Reproductive Health.'
2013-2018 Interdisciplinary Training in Schistosomiasis. Co-PIs: J. Kurtis and J Friedman. Brown Subcontract PI: ST McGarvey. Response to PAR-12-003. Framework Programs for Global Health Innovation. Total Direct Costs $1,538,130; Brown University subcontract total direct costs $484,375.
2010-2012 Genetic Modification of PUFA Biosynthesis and CHD. PI, ST McGarvey, with subcontract to University of Michigan, Co-PI Ana Baylin. NIH 5R01HL081549-03, $606,612 Total Costs.
2010-2011 Supplement to Diabetes Care in American Samoa. PI: ST McGarvey. NIHGrant 3R18DK075371-04S1. Total Costs $96,391.
2007-2010 Alcohol Phenotype Development in Samoans. Co-investigator with PI, Robert Swift. R21-AA016597. Total Costs $426,718.
2009-2010 Susceptibility genes for polycystic ovarian syndrome in Samoan and American Samoan women. PI, Geralyn Messerlian, Brown University, Innovations in Women's Health Research Seed Grant Program. $35,000.
2005-2007 Inflammation, Iron and Cognition in S. japonicum. Coinvestigator with PI, Jennifer Friedman. NIH R03 AI064735.
2007 Diversity Supplement, Diabetes Care in American Samoa. PI: ST McGarvey, NIH Grant R18 DK075371-01S1.
2000-2006 Genome-scan for Obesity Susceptibility Loci in Samoans. PI: ST McGarvey. NIH: R01-DK59642.
2004-2006 Puberty, Immunity and Malnutrition in S. japonicum. Coinvestigator with PI, JD Kurtis. NIH: R01-AI48123. (ST McGarvey was PI 7/1/2001-3/25/2004).
2003-2007 Urbanization, Health and the Environment in Coastal Ghana. Coinvestigator with PI, M White. NIH R21-TW006508.
2000-2006 Ecology and Transmission of S. japonicum in The Philippines. PI, ST McGarvey. NIH rant TW01582 in the NIH/NSF Ecology of Infectious Diseases Program.
2001-2004 Puberty, Immunity and Malnutrition in S. japonicum. PI: ST McGarvey. NIH: R01-AI48123.
1998- 2002 Genome Scan for NIDDM Susceptibility Genes among Samoans. NIH DK55406. Co-PI with R Deka.
1994-2000 International Training in AIDS Epidemiology. NIH D43 TW00237. Co-Director with KM Mayer, Director. Dr. McGarvey's role ended 9/00.
1995-1999 Genetics of CVD Risk in Samoans. NIH HL52611. Co-PI with MI Kamboh.
1993-96 Phase II Study on Multi Drug Chemotherapy of Geohelminths in the Philippines and the People's Republic of China. WHO. G.R. Olds, PI.
1992-97 Infants of Gestational Diabetes: Birth to seven years. NIH HD11343. CoInvestigator with B. Vohr, PI. Project 2 in Center Project, Diabetes Pregnancy, Effects on offspring. Overall PI, W. Oh.
1991-1996 Morbidity and resistance to reinfection in Schistosomiasis japonicum and development of a strategic plan for disease control. NIH AI30601. Co PI with R. Olveda. Project 1 in Tropical Medicine Research Center.
1990-96 Adiposity, Insulin, Electrolytes and Samoan Blood Pressure. NIH AG09375. Principal
1995 Health Transition in Navrongo, Ghana. Faculty Foreign Travel Grant, Brown University, Watson Institute for International Studies.
1993-94 Poly Parasitism and Cognitive Function in Chinese Children. Partnership for Child Development, London. PI: S.T. McGarvey.
1993-94 Fertility Patterns in Western Samoa. Brown University Population Studies and Training Center. PI: S.T. McGarvey.
1993-94 Immunogenetic Analysis of Clot Blood from a Schistosomiasis Endemic Chinese Population. The Miriam Hospital Foundation. PI: S.T. McGarvey, with P.M. Wiest, and G.R. Olds.
1992 Lipid profiles, adiposity and psychosocial factors among modernizing Samoans. Miriam Hospital Foundation. PI: S.T. McGarvey.
1989 Schistosomiasis in Jiangxi Province, China. Faculty Foreign Travel Grant, Brown University Institute for International Studies.
1988-89 Enhancing Hospital Care for the Older Patient. Co Investigator with M.D. Fretwell, PI. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
1988 Salt Taste, Infant Diet and Blood Pressure. S.T. McGarvey and S.H. Zinner. Gerber Products Co.
1986-87 Family Care Givers of Frail Elders. Co Investigator with R.A. Silliman. Brown University Program in Medicine Research Support Funds.
1982-83 Epidemiology of Blood Pressure in Samoans. PI: S.T. McGarvey. Wenner Gren Foundation.
field research methods in developing nations
human population biology
- Burden of Disease in Developing Countries (PHP1070)
- Schistosomiasis japonica, anemia and iron status in children, adolescents and young adults in Leyte, the Philippines. T Leenstra, LP Acosta, GC Langdon, DLManalo, L Su, RM Olveda, ST McGarvey, JD Kurtis, JF Friedman. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, (in press, 2006).(2006)
- Demographic and clinical characteristics among HIV-infected patients who presented the hospital in Cambodia. Phan Sok, Joseph I. Harwell, Stephen McGarvey, Mark Lurie, Lut Lynen, Timothy Flanigan, Kenneth H. Mayer. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, (in press, 2006).(2006)
- T-helper 2 cytokine responses to Sj97 predict resistance to reinfection with Schistosoma japonicum. T Leenstra, LP Acosta, H Wu, GC Langdon, JS Solomon,DL Manalo, L Su, M Jiz, B Jarilla,AO Pablo,ST McGarvey,RM Olveda, J Friedman, JD Kurtis. Infection and Immunity (in press, 2006).(2006)
- Nutritional status improves after treatment of S. japonicum infected children and adolescents. HM Coutinho, LP Acosta, ST McGarvey, B Jarilla, A Pablo, L Su,DL Manalo, RM Olveda, JD Kurtis, JF Friedman. The Journal of Nutrition (in press,2006).(2006)
- Farming and Adiposity in Samoan Adults. ED Keighley, ST McGarvey, P Turituri, S Viali. American Journal of Human Biology, (in press, 2006).(2006)
- Statistical evidence for GLM regression parameters: a robust likelihood approach. JD Blume, L Su, L Acosta, RM Olveda, ST McGarvey. Statistics in Medicine (In press, 2006).(2006)
- Estimating sensitivity and specificity of a faecal examination method for Schistosoma japonicum infection in cats, dogs, water buffaloes, pigs and rats in Western Samar and Sorsogon Provinces, The Philippines. H Carabin H, E Balolong, L Joseph, ST McGarvey, MV Johansen, T Fernandez, AL Willingham, RM Olveda. Schistosomiasis Transmission and Ecology in the Philippines (STEP) Project. International Journal for Parasitology (in press, 2006).(2006)
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection in Samoa and American Samoa. GL Armstrong, IT Williams, UA Maga, S Viali, WL Kuhnert, ST McGarvey. Am J Trop Med Hyg (in press, Dec 2005).(2005)
- Functional Significance of Low Intensity Polyparasitism in Anemia. AE Ezeamama, JF Friedman, RM Olveda, LP Acosta, JD Kurtis, V Mor, ST McGarvey. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 192(12):2160-70,2005.(2005)
- Human schistosomiasis and anemia: the relationship and potential mechanisms. JF Friedman, HK Kanzaria, ST McGarvey. Trends in Parasitology 21, 386-392, 2005.(2005)
- Nutritional status and serum cytokine profiles in children, adolescents and young adults with Schistosoma japonicum-Associated hepatic fibrosis in Leyte, The Philippines. HM Coutinho, ST McGarvey, L Acosta, D Manalo, G Langdon, T Leenstra, HK Kanzaria, J Solomon, H Wu, R Olveda, JD Kurtis, JF Friedman. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 192: 528-536, 2005.(2005)
- Estimating and modelling the dynamics of the intensity of infection with Schistosoma japonicum in villagers of Leyte, Philippines. Part II: Age and intensity specific transmission of schistosomiasis japonicum at three locations in the Philippines. The Schistosomiasis Transmission & Ecology Project (STEP). S Riley, H Carabin, C Marshall, R Olveda, G Aligui, AL Willingham, ST McGarvey. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 72 (6): 754-761, 2005.(2005)
- Estimating and modelling the dynamics of the intensity of infection with Schistosoma japonicum in villagers of Leyte, Philippines. Part I: A Bayesian cumulative logit model. The Schistosomiasis Transmission & Ecology Project (STEP). H Carabin, C Marshall, L Joseph, S Riley, EAligui, R Olveda, ST McGarvey. Am J Trop Med Hyg 72 (6): 745-753, 2005.(2005)
- Helminth infection and cognitive impairment among Filipino children. A Ezeamama, JF Friedman, LP Acosta, GC Langdon, DL Manalo, RM Olveda, JD Kurtis, ST McGarvey. Am J Trop Med Hyg 72 (5): 540-548, 2005.(2005)
- Relationship between Schistosoma japonicum and nutritional status among children and young adults in Leyte, The Philippines. JF Friedman, HK Kanzaria, LP Acosta, GC Langdon, DL Manalo, H Wu, RM Olveda, ST McGarvey, JD Kurtis. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 72(5): 527-533, 2005.(2005)
- Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices among Physicians on HIV/AIDS in Quang Ninh, Vietnam. L Quach, K Mayer, ST McGarvey, M Lurie, P Do. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 19 (5): 335-446, 2005.(2005)
- Schistosoma japonicum and occult blood loss in a community based sample in Leyte, The Philippines. HK Kanzaria, LP Acosta, GC Langdon, DL Manalo, RM Olveda, ST McGarvey, JD Kurtis, JF Friedman. Am J Trop Med Hyg 72: 115-118, 2005.(2005)
- Distribution of genome-wide linkage disequilibrium based on microsatellite loci in the Samoan population. H-J Tsai, G Sun, D Smelser, S Viali, J Tufa, L Jin, DE Weeks, ST McGarvey, R Deka. Human Genomics 1 (5):327-334, 2004.(2004)
- Expression, purification and human antibody response to a 67 kDa vaccine candidate for schistosomiasis japonicum. JS Solomon, CP Nixon, ST McGarvey, LP Acosta, JD Kurtis. Protein Expression & Purification 26: 226-231, 2004.(2004)
- Isolation and characterisation of polymorphic DNA microsatellite markers from Schistosoma japonicum. Shrivastava, J, Barker, G, Johansen, MV, Zhou X, Aligui, GD, McGarvey, ST & Webster, JP. Molecular Ecology Notes 3: 406-408, 2003.(2003)
- Global genetic variation at nine short tandem repeat loci and implications on forensic genetics. G Sun, ST McGarvey, R Bayoumi, C Mulligan, R Barrantes, S Raskin, Y Zhong, J Akey, R Chakraborty, R Deka. Eur J Hum Genet 11: 39-49, 2003.(2003)
- Neonatal blood pressure and salt taste responsiveness. SH Zinner, ST McGarvey, LP Lipsitt, B Rosner. Hypertension 40:280-285, 2002.(2002)
- Youth blood pressure levels in Samoa in 1979 and 1991-93. ST Roberts, ST McGarvey, S Viali, C Quested. Am Jl Human Biology 16 (2): 158-167, 2004.(1979)