Resources for Department Managers and Program Coordinators
The Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies recognizes several types of appointment terminations. To process an end of appointment action, send documentation to Susan Rottenberg, Box G-A219. The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will process the termination and produce a termination letter that will be sent to the department to give to the postdoc. This will close out the record.
Brown University's Division of Biology & Medicine tracks postdoc career data for use in future training grant submissions and for use in future career development events. Postdocs should provide department administrators with a formal signed and dated resignation letter stating their last date of employment and their next career position (title and employer). OGPS offers postdocs the opportunity to complete an anonymous exit survey created by the Postdoc Advisory Panel.
- Department Chair's acknowledgement in the form of any one of the following:
- a. Signed Chair memo requesting end of postdoc appointment including last date of work.
- b. Chair signature on the resignation letter.
- c. Email string from the Chair acknowledging the resignation.
- Signed Chair memo requesting end of postdoc appointment including last date of work.
- Proof that the postdoc has been notified of this action in the form of any one of the following:
- a. Copy of end of position document sent to postdoc.
- b. Email string in which postdoc acknowledges end of appointment.
- Copy of new appointment letter.
Refer to this summary checklist to help determine the proper paperwork needed for an exiting postdoc.