Quality integrated service through excellence in planning, design and craftsmanship.
The BioMed Machine Shop has long been known for providing top-quality, cost-effective solutions to its customers. Whether repairing or retrofitting existing equipment or creating a design-build solution for a research lab, the BioMed Machine Shop has always provided a "one-stop shop" for its customers through innovation and creativity.
As the needs of the research community evolve, the Machine Shop is extending the reach of its services to evolve with them. The Machine Shop's Research Engineer/Technician, John Murphy, can address a wide spectrum of work ranging from basic mechanical repairs to more advanced technical services including electronics.
Over the past forty years, the Machine Shop has completed more than 4,200 projects, each crafting a solution for a specific requirement.
Some of the instrumental and mechanical services available include:
- Enhancing lab facilities to support unique program requirements, such as building various-sized Faraday cages
- Design-build creation of custom research equipment and parts
- Troubleshooting and repair of existing research instruments, such as centrifuges and water baths
- Modifying complex research equipment to meet customers' evolving needs
- Constructing, customizing and repairing input/output devices for computers, such as touch sensors, joysticks and data-gathering equipment
- Troubleshooting issues with electronic equipment, such as electronic noise sensitivity
- Retrofitting and/or enhancing existing electronic equipment to customize for specific research needs
The BioMed Machine Shop offers both efficiency and expertise. Our Research Engineer's extensive skills, creativity, innovation and hands-on approach make our Machine Shop a unique, value-added, in-house service.
The BioMed Machine Shop work is performed in-house at an hourly rate of $60.00 plus materials, effective January 3, 2011. For more information on how our Machine Shop can provide total solutions for your needs or to schedule a consultation, contact Carol Viveiros, Operations Manager, at 863-3160 or email Carol_Viveiros@brown.edu.