Research Assistants Request for Library Access
Research assistants of full-time faculty in the clinical departments can receive access to Brown's electronic library resources. These include full-text e-journals and online medical textbooks.
Access is granted on a fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) basis. Please print and complete the Request for Library Access form. The form should be filled out by the staff person, signed by the faculty member and faxed to Cindy Ruel at (401) 863-2940 in BMFA.
After receiving the password, if staff have questions about accessing the library resources, they can contact Erika Sevetson at Erika_Sevetson@Brown.edu, Medical School Librarian, Brown University.
Library Resources and Services for Alpert Medical School
To see medical collections and services, go to “Medical Connections” http://library.brown.edu/gateway/medcon/ Activate your Brown account by following instructions under “Learn how to get full access”.
From Medical Connections Find:
- - Josiah, Brown’s online catalog, for information about print and online resources.
- - Over 40,000 online journals, of which 60% are in science, technology and medicine.
- - Medical databases such as PubMed, DynaMed, Global Health, PsycINFO, TRIP, Biological Abstracts, and others.
- - Interdisciplinary databases such as Academic Search Premier, Lexis/Nexis, and Web of Science (includes Science Citation Index and Journal Citation Reports).
- - Online medical textbooks: ACP Online, Clinical Pharmacology, Harrison’s Online, MD Consult, and Psychiatry Online among others.
- - Online study tools like Access Medicine and MedEdPortal.
- - Evaluated web sites on complementary and alternative medicine, consumer health, drug information, health statistics, images, public health, and more.
- Information about the affiliated hospital libraries.
Library Services for Faculty:
- - Search and read Brown’s databases and journals from anywhere, using a choice of off-campus access methods at http://library.brown.edu/libweb/proxy.php
- - Link to full text articles directly from databases using the “find it” icon. In the case of PubMed, the “find it” icon will appear only if you connect to PubMed via a Brown University Library link to PubMed [will not see “find it” if you type the PubMed URL].
- - Obtain articles and borrow books
- From the Brown Library stacks directly to your office:
Books - http://library.brown.edu/libweb/facdel.php
Articles - https://illiad.brown.edu/illiad/logon.html
- From the Annex (location noted in JOSIAH):
- From other libraries:
- - Place print or electronic material on Reserve: http://library.brown.edu/reserves/
- - Set up course pages: http://library.brown.edu/gateway/classes.php
- - Learn about tools for writing, citing and publishing, including EndNote and Refworks: http://library.brown.edu/gateway/medcon/custom.php?contentid=26
- - One-on-one assistance by librarian Erika_Sevetson@Brown.edu (863-5150)
- - Library access for your spouse. Brown ID holder needs to sign authorization at the Rockefeller Library Service Desk.